A new state-of-the-art Airport Terminal Building is all set to be constructed at the Vijayawada Airport.
The terminal will have modern facilities like such as Baggage Handling System, Arrival Baggage claim Carousels, Central Air-conditioning , Public Address System, Flight Information Display System(FIDS), and Check-in Counters with Common Use Terminal Equipment(CUTE) will be available.
The building boasts of a peak hour handling capacity of 1200 passengers (800 Domestic +400 International). The annual passengers handling capacity will be around 3.33 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA).
Here are a few other details of the new Vijayawada Airport’s Integrated Terminal :
- The building will have 24 check-in counters, 1 baggage conveyor belt in the departure area and 5 baggage claim carousels
- Since the airport is international, it will have a total of 14 immigration counters, 10 for arrivals and 4 for departure
- There will be 4 customer redressal counters, 3 for arrival and 1 for departure
- It can hold up to 1200 cars out of which 200 parking slots will be for taxi
- The total cost of the new building is Rs 611 crores.
- The terminal building will be spread across 35000 sqm
The design is inspired by the rural-urban blend of Vijayawada’s culture. the exteriors and interiors of the airport have been designed to show the uniqueness of this region.
The local environment and cultural reference, as well as the historical art and architecture of the region, are interpreted in a modern way to add life to the building.
Construction of the new facility is being done by the Airports Authority of India (AAI). It manages over 100 airports in India and has been taking major initiatives to improve air connectivity and enhance infrastructure at the airports by providing world-class facilities to passengers.
The Bhoomi Pujan of the new building was performed on Tuesday by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu.