Passengers travelling to the Chennai airport will soon be able to shop at a mall, watch a movie & stay in a hotel.
Airports Authority Of India is going to build these facilities in the 2 multi-level car parks which are being build on either side of the airport.
The ministry of environment and forest has given the green signal for construction of these facilities as part of the six-level 2,000-car park project.
Here are the details of this project:
- The mall and multiplex will come up in the complex on the east side of the airport metro station while the hotel will come up on the west side.
- There will be seven levels of parking in the east block and six levels in the west block.
- The parking lot with its mall and hotel would be connected to the airport building using a link bridge
- This link bridge would connect to the walkalator tube that runs parallel to the domestic and international terminal
- Initially, the mall and the hotel were meant primarily for the passengers but visitors too would be able to make use of them.
The hotel will help transit passengers find good accommodation without travelling to the city. Transit rooms are no longer available at the airport as the old domestic terminal complex, which housed them, has been pulled down to construct an integrated terminal.
The airport currently sees a traffic of more than 5,000 cars a day. The multi-level car park will also be of help when the integrated terminal is completed.
AAI has started work which is expected to be completed by July 2020.