According to the Chief Minister of Kerala, Mr. Pinarayi Vijayan, 11 international and 6 national airlines have expressed their willingness to conduct services from Kannur International Airport.
The international airlines include Emirates, Etihad, Fly Dubai, Air Arabia, Oman Air, Qatar Airways, Gulf Air, Saudia, Silk Air, Air Asia and Malindo Air. Domestic carriers such as Air India, Air India Express, Jet Airways, Indigo, SpiceJet and Go Air will operate out of Kannur International Airport.
Mr Vijayan was speaking at the annual public meeting of the Thiruvananthapuram International Airport, where other issues related to the Kannur airport were also discussed.
Here are the key points from the meeting-
- Authorities are planning to increase the length of Kannur airport’s runway from 3050 meters to 4000 meters. The formalities of acquisition of lands are in progress. The CM said that Kannur Airport will become the largest airport in Kerala.
- The Kerala police will have the temporary responsibility of immigration. Air India Services Limited and Celebi Ground Handling have the responsibility of ground handling services.
- Construction of terminal building and arranging facilities inside terminal have been completed.
- Monti Carlo Limited has been given Rs 113 Crore to construct the International Air Cargo Complex, 4 storeyed airport office building, 5 storeyed CISF residence building and the approaching roads to the airport. They have also been given the task of lighting and decorating the airport.
- 29 people in the families who lost houses when the government acquired lands were appointed in different positions. The remaining people in this category will be appointed through Air India ITSL, ground/cargo handling agency of the airport.