Germany’s technology giants, Siemens, is all set to digitize operations at the Bangalore Airport to simplify airport systems and enhance customer experience.
The group’s subsidiary, Siemens Postal, Parcel & Airport Logistics (SPPAL), has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) to digitized the airport operations and infrastructure using the Internet of Things (IoT) technology, Artificial Intelligence and Data Analysis.
Managing Director and CEO of BIAL, Mr. Hari Marar, released a statement saying that Bangalore Airport is a pioneer and leader of change in the Indian aviation industry. BIAL’s aim is to introduce more digitally advanced and innovative services so that the passengers and stakeholders get the benefit of future technologies.
He also went on to say that with the signing of the MoU for digitalisation, BIAL is once again gearing up for a leading position in India together with SPPAL.
Here’s how SPPAL may digitize Bangalore Airport-
- With a view to improve operational efficiency, the subsidiary will use MindSphere, an open cloud-based IoT operating system of Siemens.
- The technology will standardize real-time exchange of quality-assured data. This will create more transparency of information and thus improve processes between the various stakeholders at the airport.
- Another way it will benefit the airport is by improving the baggage handling system.
- It is also planning to optimize aircraft spare part management at the airport using predictive analysis.
- Data analysis and Artificial Intelligence will be implemented in the later stages of development
SPPAL recently opened a new MindSphere Application Centre (MAC) in Dubai, which will be used to develop future-oriented analytics and IoT solutions for airports, airlines, freight service providers and ground-handling services.
As the country’s third busiest airport after Mumbai and New Delhi, Bangalore airport handled 25 million (250 lakh) passengers in 2017. With such technologies being implemented, BIAL will surely be able to help modernize the airport and improve passenger experience.